Using outdoor digital signage poses different challenges to indoor systems, protect the device against the elements to get the content delivered but the benefits of the use of LCD and plasma outdoor for digital advertising and information is that you can reach a lot wider audience. There are of course many pitfalls in implementing outdoor digital signage, here are ten ideas to avoid making costly mistakes:
10. Have a goal – You must have a clear objective to mind. If you are investing in outdoor digital signage systems, you must focus on what you want to achieve, more customers or strengthen your brand or maybe you want to entertain or inform. Set your expectations before investing in any system.
9. Cost Plan – digital display is never cheap, always plan for everything. It surprises me to hear of companies that have spent small fortunes on digital display systems outdoors to have run out of money for things like maintenance or even content.
8. Use the right people to manage your project – often digital signage projects are grown on it. Of course, there are technical aspects DOOH (Digital Home) but it is much more suited to someone with marketing experience. Also make sure you have a clear project manager, there are many aspects to the outdoor digital display and unless someone is able to keep all the facets together your project may soon falter as soon as you hit that first hurdle. Make sure you have someone to manage and update content -. You’d be surprised how often this is overlooked
7. Position -. People can spend huge amounts of money on digital display campaigns but if LCD, plasma or LED screens are in the wrong place this could be money in the tube if no one pays any attention
6. Protection against rain – Outdoors is a totally different environment from within and all signaling device will protect against the elements. Always ensure good quality plasma or LCD houses the device box. Often 4 European standards IP65 or NEMA USA applied for outdoor digital signage enclosures.
5. Choose the right software and tools – Do not get distracted with expensive design tools and often too complicated. Often, simple office desktop tools like PowerPoint will create good quality and innovative content
4. Testing, testing 1, 2, 3 – Good sure check your campaigns. Do not just check that the devices work, the practice of changing the content and implementation of general maintenance such as cleaning, it is often small such practices that can cause failure of a draft outdoor digital display.
3. Be innovative – Do not be afraid to try new things. Look at the different types of LCD or plasma enclosures and see what looks best. Try to place the devices in unusual places or try something new content that it hopes to get noticed. Often, the best digital signage campaigns are those where they were bold in trying something new or something different.
2. Safety – It’s unfortunate, but I know this is the world in which we live and despite lower cost LCD and plasmas they are still attractive objects for thieves. Ensure the device identifier properly protected against theft, but also ensure the LCD enclosure is rugged enough to withstand attack by vandals.
1. Content – The most important aspect of any outdoor digital signage campaign is by far the content. Content is the key, no matter how fancy your outdoor digital signage systems seems they do not display an interesting, informative or entertaining they are wasted. Be innovative and different. If you attempt to generate revenue from advertising and mix in entertainment as people become blind ad will simply ignore the messages.
Keep things interesting and mix and match advertising content more informative entertainment and other things. Make sure to use a lot of colors, moving images and keep things simple. Too many things on the screen, get confused and distracted. Audio works well too but breath on music, it can be quite annoying for many people, especially if they do not like that kind.
outdoor digital signage is a great way to develop a profile of companies, advertising, enhance brand image, to influence customer behavior and generate sales, but only works if you invest the time and effort too long with money.
Richard N Williams is a technical author and a specialist in the digital signage industry helping to develop outdoor digital signage and protection for plasmas. Please visit us for more information about LCD Enclosures or other digital signage solutions.